Notes & Quotes:—
– Sam Mayer was quickest in Sunday’s open test and in Monday’s final practice session.
– After starting sixth, Mayer was shuffled back to tenth as a result of contact early in the race. The defending ARCA East champion had patiently clawed his way back into the top five by Lap 50.The first caution of the night came on Lap 65. Mayer brought his Chevrolet down pit road for four tires and restarted in the eighth position. Mayer had climbed up to the fourth position by time the caution flag flew for the second time.
– Mayer stayed out under the second caution and restarted in the second position. He battled for the lead, but was scored second when the third caution flew. Crew chief Mardy Lindley kept Mayer out under the third caution, giving the 16-year-old the lead of the race.
– The red flag was displayed on Lap 154 with Sam Mayer scored as the leader. Mayer stayed on track during the subsequent caution laps and led the field to green on Lap 160, but fell back to second on the restart. Mayer was patient and regained the lead inside 10 laps to go and opened the 2020 season with a victory.
– This is Mayer’s first ARCA East victory at New Smyrna Speedway.
“I was riding behind Griffith, saving my tires because I knew he hadn’t pitted yet. I was just saving my stuff because we had used our tires already, just waiting. I’m definitely going to enjoy this one. Beating Ty (Gibbs) and all those people, their team is amazing and beating them is definitely something to be said. This one has to go to Joe Stevens. Kyle Stevens is a crew member of ours and his dad passed away recently. This one is for him for sure.
My spotter never told me the 2 car was coming, so I didn’t know that. I was just focused on everything up front. Making good laps, qualifying laps every single lap and it got us to victory lane.”